McKinney's Cotton Pickers - Chronogical Classics 1928-1931 (3 CD)


William McKinney was a drummer who by 1923 had retired from playing in favor of conducting and managing a big band. In 1926 his outfit became known as McKinney's Cotton Pickers, and the following year they scored a major coup by hiring arranger/altoist/vocalist Don Redman away from Fletcher Henderson. As the band's musical director, Redman put together an outfit that competed successfully with Henderson and the up-and-coming Duke Ellington. The lineup of musicians by the time they started recording in 1928 included Langston Curl, Claude Jones, George Thomas, and Dave Wilborn, but it was the advanced arrangements, the tight ensembles, and the high musicianship of the orchestra on the whole that was most impressive. There were a few special all-star sessions with such players as Joe Smith, Sidney DeParis, Coleman Hawkins, Fats Waller, and Lonnie Johnson making appearances, and James P. Johnson sat in on one date. Among the more rewarding recordings overall were "Four or Five Times," "It's Tight like That," "It's a Precious Little Thing Called Love," and four future standards that Redman introduced: "Gee Baby Ain't I Good to You," "Baby Won't You Please Come Home," "I Want a Little Girl," and "Cherry."

It was a major blow in 1931 when Don Redman departed to form his own band. Benny Carter took over as musical director, but despite the presence of such fine players as Doc Cheatham, Hilton Jefferson, and holdovers Quentin Jackson, Rex Stewart, and Prince Robinson, there would only be one final recording session. The Depression eventually did the band in and after much turnover in 1934, the classic group broke up. McKinney organized later versions of the Cotton Pickers but without making an impression.

 
 

McKinney's Cotton Pickers - 1928-1929 {CC, 609}

01. Four Or Five Times
02. Put It There (Shag Nasty)
03. Crying And Sighing
04. Milenberg Joys
05. Cherry
06. Stop Kidding (Neckbones And Sauerkraut)
07. Nobody's Sweetheart
08. Some Sweet Day
09. Shim-Me-Sha-Wabble
10. Paducah
11. Star Dust
12. Birmingham Breakdown
13. Four Or Five Times
14. It's Tight Like That
15. There's A Rainbow 'Round My Shoulder
16. It's A Precious Little Thing Called Love
17. Save It, Pretty Mama
18. I've Found A New Baby
19. Will You, Won't You Be My Babe
20. Beedle-Um-Bum
21. Do Something
22. Sellin' That Stuff


McKinney's Cotton Pickers - 1929-1930 {CC, 625}

01. Plain Dirt
02. Gee, Ain't I Good To You
03. I'd Love It
04. The Way I Feel Today
05. Miss Hannah
06. Peggy
07. Wherever There's A Will, Baby
08. I'll Make Fun For You
09. Words Can't Express The Way I Feel
10. If I Could Be With You One Hour Tonight
11. Then Someone's In Love
12. Honeysuckle Rose
13. Zonky
14. Travelin' All Alone
15. Just A Shade Corn
16. Baby, Won't You Please Come Home
17. Okay, Baby
18. Blues Sure Have Got Me
19. Hullabaloo
20. I Want A Little Girl
21. Cotton Picker's Scat
22. Talk To Me
23. Rocky Road
24. Laughing At Life


McKinney's Cotton Pickers - 1930-31, Don Redman (1939-40) {CC, 649}

01. Never Swat A Fly
02. I Want Your Love
03. Hello!
04. After All, You're All I'm After
05. I Miss A Little Miss
06. Tho Whom It May Concern
07. You're Driving Me Crazy
08. Come A Little Closer
09. It's A Lonesome Old Town
10. She's My Secret Passion
11. Do You Believe In Love At Sight
12. Wrap Your Troubles In Dreams
13. Chant Of The Weed
14. I Heard
15. Got The South In My Soul
16. Reefer Man
17. Chew-Chew-Chew (Your Bubble Gum)
18. Igloo
19. Baby, Won't You Please Come Home
20. Ain't I Good To You
21. You Ain't Nowhere
22. About Rip Van Winkle
23. Shim-Me-Sha-Wabble
24. Chant Of The Weed