Sarah Vaughan- The Complete Sarah Vaughan On Mercury.Vol.1- Great Jazz Years; 1954-1956 [6 CD, 1987]

 

Sarah Vaughan recorded extensively for Mercury/EmArcy during the 1950s and 1960s. Through much of that time, Vaughan's operatic voice was matched against overripe orchestrations or arrangements more suitable to a pop icon than one of the most versatile instruments in history. The exhaustive 4 CD box set overview of Vaughan's work with Mercury/EmArcy is essential only to completists or the most avid fans. Vol. 1, however, which collects material from 1954-1956 over six CDs, shows Vaughan at her best, including sessions with trumpeter Clifford Brown and drummer Roy Haynes. Most of the excellent performances from Swingin' Easy are included here.

Disc 1

  1.      I Still Believe In You    
  2.      My Funny Valentine    
  3.      My One And Only Love    
  4.      Come Along With Me    
  5.      Imagination    
  6.      It's Easy To Remember    
  7.      And This Is My Beloved    
  8.      Easy Come, Easy Go Lover    
  9.      Lover Man    
  10.      Shulie A Bop    
  11.      Polka Dots And Moonbeams    
  12.      Body And Soul    
  13.      They Can't Take That Away From Me    
  14.      Prelude To A Kiss    
  15.      You Hit The Spot    
  16.      If I Knew Then What I Know Now    


Disc 2

  1.      Old Love    
  2.      Old Devil Moon    
  3.      Exactly Like You    
  4.      Saturday    
  5.      Idle Gossip    
  6.      Make Yourself Comfortable    
  7.      Oh Yeah    
  8.      I'm In The Mood For Love    
  9.      I Don't Know Why    
  10.      Let's Put Out The Lights    
  11.      Waltzing Down The Aisle    
  12.      It's Magic    
  13.      Honey    
  14.      How Important Can It Be    
  15.      The Touch Of Your Lips    
  16.      'S Wonderful    
  17.      Tenderly    

Disc 3

  1.      September Song    
  2.      Lullaby Of Birdland (Alternate Take)    
  3.      Lullaby Of Birdland    
  4.      I'm Glad There Is You    
  5.      You're Not The Kind    
  6.      Jim    
  7.      He's My Guy    
  8.      April In Paris    
  9.      It's Crazy    
  10.      Embraceable You    

Disc 4

  1.      Whatever Lola Wants    
  2.      Slowly With Feeling    
  3.      Experience Unnecessary    
  4.      Fabulous Character    
  5.      Johnny, Be Smart    
  6.      Hey Naughty Papa    
  7.      The Other Woman    
  8.      Never (Alternate Take)    
  9.      Never    
  10.      C'est La Vie (Alternate Take)    
  11.      C'est la Vie    
  12.      Paradise    
  13.      Time On My Hands (Alternate Take)    
  14.      Time On My Hands    
  15.      Gimme A Little Kiss    
  16.      Mr. Wonderful    
  17.      You Ought To Have A Wife    
  18.      Sometimes I'm Happy (Alternate Take)    
  19.      Sometimes I'm Happy (Alternate Take)    
  20.     Sometimes I'm Happy (Alternate Take)    
  21.      Sometimes I'm Happy    

Disc 5

  1.      I'll Never Smile Again (Alternate Take)    
  2.      I'll Never Smile Again (Alternate Take)    
  3.      I'll Never Smile Again    
  4.      Don't Be On The Outside (Alternate Take)    
  5.      Don't Be On The Outside    
  6.      It Shouldn't Happen To A Dream    
  7.      An Occasional Man    
  8.      Soon    
  9.      Cherokee    
  10.      Maybe    
  11.      Why Can't I    
  12.      How High The Moon    
  13.      Over The Rainbow (Alternate Take)    
  14.      Over The Rainbow    
  15.      Oh My (Alternate Take)    
  16.      Oh My (Alternate Take)    
  17.      Oh My    

Disc 6

  1.      The Boy Next Door    
  2.      Shake Down The Stars    
  3.      I'm Afraid The Masquerade Is Over    
  4.      Lush Life    
  5.      A Sinner Kissed An Angel    
  6.      Old Folks    
  7.      The House I Live In    
  8.      I'm The Girl    
  9.      Hot And Cold Runnin' Tears    
  10.      The Edge Of The Sea    
  11.      I've Got Some Crying To Do    
  12.      That's Not The Kind Of Love I Want    
  13.      My Romance    
  14.      Lonely Woman    
  15.      Only You Can Say    
  16.      I Loved Him    
  17.      It Happened Again    
  18.      I Wanna Play House